Well, it’s time! Here are some of the top 5 books that I’ve read so far in 2019. Of course, I will also be doing the mid-year freak out book tag, but I thought that I would do a top 5 recommendation as well. I can never talk about my new favourites too much!
- In At the Deep End by Kate Davies – This book is about Julia, a woman who realises that she is a lesbian. In some ways it is a bit like a queer, modern Bridget Jones. And in other ways, with its frank discussion of abuse in the queer, it is very serious. Here is my review – please read the trigger warnings.
- Summer of Salt by Katrina Leno – I recently read this book and HOLY SHIT. I knew that I would like this witchy queer summery book, but I didn’t realise how much I would love it. It is a quiet book all about sisterhood and sexuality, and is a bit like the movie Practical Magic.
- Into the Drowning Deep by Mira Grant – I have no idea why I took so long to read this book. It has killer mermaids, a diverse cast (queer characters, Deaf characters, an autistic character), SCIENCE, and genuinely scary scenes. I can see why people have said that it is a bit slow, because it does take time to set everything up. But OMG I really thought that the wait paid off.
- Queenie by Candice Carty-Williams – Queenie is a 25-year-old black woman who lives in London. It’s all about how her life is slowly falling apart, and how she has been dealing with toxic relationships and anxiety for a really long time. I definitely related to some of the aspects in it with the anxiety. Read this review by Christine, which I think totally nails what this book is all about.
- The Poppy War by R.F. Kuang – I did not think that I was going to like this book. I’m not normally into fantasy, especially epic fantasy like this. It is a very dark book that is heavily inspired by the Nanking Massacre. It therefore has many, MANY trigger warnings, so please be careful. I was very impressed with the way that the story was crafted. It’s definitely not like anything I’ve read before.
Honourable mentions include: