Hello everyone! When this post goes up, I will be driving home for Christmas! (Haha, hope you’ve got that song in your head now!) So, to be appropriately festive, I thought that I would recommend my top 5 Christmas books. My Mum and I collect Christmas books, so there are a lot that I love! (I’m going to try not to recommend the classics like A Christmas Carol and Twas the Night Before Christmas, because everyone knows about that!)
- The Legend of Holly Claus by Brittney Ryan – I have such amazingly fond memories of reading The Legend of Holly Claus every Christmas. In retrospect, this is a huge book (nearly 600 pages)! From what I remember, Holly is (obviously) Santa Claus’ daughter, and she has to stay in cold places because she has a heart of ice and if she gets too warm it will melt. I would love to find my copy to re-read it!
- When Santa Fell to Earth by Cornelia Funke – she was one of my favourite childhood authors! Again, I would love to re-read them! Anyway, I have literally no memory of the plot and characters of this one, but I remember loving it, and I trust tiny me.
- Christmas Days by Jeanette Winterson – this is a brilliant collection of 12 short stories and 12 recipes for the 12 days of Christmas! There are ghosts and books and queerness, all of which that I love. The recipes sound fantastic, and this is definitely becoming a Christmas classic for me.
- The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle by Arthur Conan Doyle – the CLASSIC Sherlock Holmes Christmas story. This has everything! Jewels! Geese! A potentially reformable thief! I absolutely love this story.
- Horrible Christmas by Terry Deary – I adored all of the Horrible History books when I was younger (for those not familiar with them, they’re history books for kids that include all the weird and gory details). This one tells you all about weird UK Christmas traditions, and comes with a brilliant CD. I’m not sure whether I still have my copy – I’ll have to try and dig it out!
Books that I want to try:
- My True Love Gave to Me
- The Girl Who Saved Christmas
- A Literary Christmas
- Christmas with Dull People
Do you have any Christmas books that you love? Tell me about them!