I got the idea for this post from Neha, who is one of my favourite bloggers, and a person you should definitely check out! There are a lot of things that get me down, and make me anxious and paranoid. But there are a lot of things that I know I take for granted in my life, and that I should really pay attention to more. So here’s a quick list of 10 things that make me happy and actively help with my mental health.
- Pets – I’ve written about the power of pets before, but yet again I have to mention how much I love snuggly puppy tummies and little toe-beans on cats. I can’t wait until me and my boyfriend are settled in a flat of our own, and we can get a kitten and some corgis.
- My boyfriend – I know this is cringey, but I can’t make this list without talking about my boyfriend, who is the best person in my life, EVER. There are so many ways in which he helps me and makes me a better person. I can’t wait to spend the rest of my life with him.
- My friends – my friends are some of the most amazing people I’ve ever had the privilege of meeting, both IRL and online. They help me in ways that they will never know.
- Reading/the publishing industry – I combined this because part of my reading experience (my favourite hobby, as you could probably guess) is now all wrapped up in my career. I love publishing, I love (most) of the people who work in the industry, and I can’t wait for my career to really start!
- Haribo – ok this is a less cringe answer. I bloody LOVE Haribo. It makes me so happy because it is so squishy and yummy!
- Tea – I don’t know who I would be without tea. I have a teapot and a teacup tattooed on the back of my leg, it’s so integral to who I am. I’ve been drinking tea since before I can remember, and I don’t think I will ever stop.
- Holidays – this too means a couple of different things. I love going on holidays (I’ve had the privilege of going to some amazing places so far in my life) and I love holidays such as Halloween and Christmas. All of these types of holidays just make my heart sing!
- The 80s – I love the super flamboyant music and the cheesy movies. I love A-Ha, Dexy’s Midnight Runners, Steel Magnolias, The Goonies, and so many more!
- My blog – although I do get some anxieties about this blog, and blogging/social media in general, I think it has been a great way for me to discover all sorts of new books, and learn things about social justice that I never would have without it.
- Naps – I am the napping queen! I love snuggling down in an afternoon with a blanket (and perhaps a cuddly boyfriend) and napping.
What are the things that make you happy? Let me know!