Today I was originally going to post a blog about childhood experiences of mental health, but I was inspired by the hashtag going around on Twitter about world kindness day. We often focus on ways to be kind to other people (as we should! Kindness is important!) but here I want to focus on different ways to be kind to yourself.
- Say no – sometimes taking care of yourself means saying no to other people. I know that I struggle with this one, because I always want to ensure that the people around me are happy. But if going to that house party is going to have a terrible effect on my mental health, sometimes I just have to say no, and follow up with a gentle lunch or coffee date instead.
- Listen to your body – again, this is one that I personally struggle with, because I often dissociate from my body when I’m feeling particularly low. I’ve come to learn that listening to my body is one way that I can be kind to myself. Does it need healthy food? A shower? A brief walk outside? Staying in tune to your body can help your mental health immeasurably.
- Do something that makes you happy – make your favourite dinner, just because it’ll make you happy. Wear that outfit, play that music, let yourself have a genuine moment of freedom and happiness.
- Be creative – I have always maintained that being creative is one of the best things to do when you’re feeling low. You don’t even have to do a lot – one more brush stroke on that painting, or one more line of that poem is more than you had this morning, so why not go for it? I’m looking to get back into my bullet journal, because I had a bit of a low month this October. Hopefully I’ll be able to show you what I’ve achieved soon!
- Compliment yourself – it’s sometimes very hard to see that you are REALLY AWESOME at certain things. Looking brilliant today? Are you great at your job? Got one more follower on your blog? Compliment yourself!
What kind things do you do for yourself? Have a happy world kindness day x