I know that this is a bit early, but my reading is going to be fairly scheduled this December, what with the Diversity December Bingo. And I want to hold myself accountable – some of these are books that have been on my TBR for years, and I really need to get ’round to them.
- Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe – this was the first LGBT+ book that I ever heard of, and tried to get my hands on. And still, years later, I haven’t read it. I’m almost scared to, weirdly! The fact that an LGBT+ book even existed meant so much to me that it might not live up to my expectations. However, I am going to read this in 2017.
- The Life and Death of Sophie Stark – as you may have seen on my Twitter, I’ve decided that I want to make 2017 a year of bisexual protagonists. The premise of this book (the observation of Sophie Stark through the eyes of 6 different characters) really interested me, and the idea that this is a more diverse Jennifer Egan rather tickled my fancy!
- Ramona Blue – on the bisexual note, I’d also like to read this hotly contested book that is being published next year. The basic premise is that the protagonist, Ramona, originally comes out as a lesbian, but then realises she is bisexual. There’s been a lot of discussion about whether this is a lesphobic depiction, or if this is another aspect of the bisexual experience. I’d like to see for myself, as a bisexual person.
- Anything by Octavia Butler – I read Kindred this year and absolutely adored it. I’m definitely going to try and read a lot more of Butler’s work, because I’m loving the fact that I’m getting back into SFF after many years of thinking there wasn’t anything in the genre for me.
- MORE DIVERSE BOOKS. I’ve read a few books with trans characters this year – but not enough. A few books with indigenous characters – but I know there is much more to learn. A few books with disabled characters – but there are so many more out there, just waiting to be read.
(Also this is the first time I’ve used a header that I’ve designed – please leave your thoughts!)