Ok, maybe not breakdown, but at least – mild panic.
For those of you who don’t know, I’m doing English Literature at the University of Warwick in the UK. It has opened my mind to so many new concepts and authors – I’ve been having an enormously great time.
This year alone I’m reading:
- Shakespeare (including….Shakespeare)
- North American Women Writers (including Toni Morrison, Octavia Butler and Alison Bechdel)
- Crime Fiction (including Dickens, who I’ve been complaining about, Agatha Christie, and Ngaio Marsh)
- New Fiction (including Ali Smith, Kazuo Ishiguro, and Dave Eggers). Hopefully I can bring some #DiverseBookBlogger action into the class!
And although I am not actually doing this course, per say, I will be picking up some of the reading for the module:
- Queer and There: Queer Theory and the History of Sexuality in the Global Context (including The Book of Salt by Monique Truong, and The Boyfriend by R. Raj Rao). I’m really hoping that this will give me a lot of new, international LGBT+ authors to read.
However, like all things, this is coming to an end – hence my mild panic. Do I do an MA? Do I go into the big bad working world? Has doing English lit been a waste of time?! HELP!
Got any advice for me? Anything would be appreciated to this soon-to-be proper adult. x