Ok this is going to be a bit of a personal roundup, I’m afraid. I’ve been really busy with essays and preparing for exams, and I hadn’t talked about what books I received for my birthday, and just in general!
For my birthday:
- The Portable Veblen by Elizabeth McKenzie. I’m going to try and read all of the Bailey’s Prize shortlist, if possible, and this is my first one! Really excited to read this, mainly just so I can be told what a ‘veblen’ is.
- All their Minds in Tandem by David Sanger. Finished this already! Review coming up soon.
- Letters from Burma by Aung San Suu Kyi. I asked one of my friends to buy me a non-fiction book, because he reads a lot more non-fiction than I do. This is what he got me! He also got me the movie for a little more context, so I think I’ll be watching that first.
- The Book Collector by Alice Thompson. Finished this too! Review is here.
Also adding a picture of my 16th birthday cake so that everyone begins to understand what a MASSIVE nerd I am:
I really, really like Good Omens.
- The Monogram Murders by Sophie Hannah. Dead keen to read this, love a Poirot.
- The Seed Collectors by Scarlett Thomas. It had a review by Neil Gaiman. Sold.
- The Loney by Andrew Michael Hurley. This is in my attempt to read more award winners! And I’m always a fan of the gothic.
- Man Tiger by Eka Kurniawan. OK so Verso Books has amazing discounts. This one I got 50% off! I’m also waiting for Red Rosa from them, but it hasn’t arrived yet.
Hoping next week I’ll have the time to do a proper bookish roundup. Have a great week 🙂